Wednesday, January 02, 2008

"Iowa...like I could give a f*#k!"

This erudite quote wafted from the mouth of a Bronx transplant in a "Giant" supermarket here in the Washington, D.C, area. Indeed, I think she...yes, a she...speaks (however indelicately) for a lot of us, regardless of race, political party, etc. who do not live in that overwhelmingly older, whiter, blander state of Iowa. I will diss Iowa because I do not receive farm/corn subsidy handouts from Uncle Sam, nor do I owe the place any allegiance for being plucked from the Hood or Dirty South to play football or hoops for the Hawkeyes. I don't have friends at the Des Moines Register.
Don't look for the Dems and GOP and state legislatures to grow some common sense and testicles and rationalize this insane primary and caucus circus scheduling debacle. It will only get worse. I'll not joan on New Hampshire, the so-called Granite state (even though Vermont produces more). My wife and I went to Meredith, the lakes, the "notches" and mountains for our wedding anniversary. You see, my blood runs tepid knowing that...THE FATE OF THE HUMAN RACE IS BEING DECIDED BY SMALL GROUP OF HAYSEEDS AND HOUSEWIVES WITH NAMES LIKE "DEWAYNE AND TRIXI YODER."
God Help Us. So to take you mind off of this hellish vision, I offer this: Two works by true women of power (sorry Hillary). You've seen the first before. That Mean Old Yesterday by NJ-based essayist Stacey Patton. This isn't for the weak-hearted. It is a frank and stark indictment of the foster care system vis. black folks (and I don't mean how it discriminates...I mean how black foster parents are too often demons from another sort of hell). Stacey crafts this autobiography by intervweaving as allegory applicable observations and vignettes from the slavery, black history. This is NOT "Antwan Fisher" warmed over. This is fresh and biting the January wind off the plains...gulp...Iowa...

And then we come to the new novel from one of the grand-dames whose work inspired me to write in the first place. Of Blood and Sorrow, by Valerie Wilson Wesley. This is the latest "Tamara Hayle Mystery" and no, it's NOT dumbed down for the street fiction/hip hop fangirl. I know Valerie and she would have none of that, despite the "pressures of the market." The title comes from the Langston Hughes verse turned into a mere shibboleth by our present leaders, pastors, entertainers. You must buy this book and see how real genre fiction is crafted for your head and heart. Oh yeah, and to see what's up with Tamara and Basil Dupre...

So once you shed a tear or a cheer for Barack or Mitt or the Mean Queen or that Christian Taliban clown Mike Huckabee (and you know some ignorant black churchfolks will vote for that fool), go online and order/pre-order this books...or do it from this blog. For unlike politics, you ask for better, and I give it to you.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

100% agreed on Iowa, but I should disclose that my father is from Lincoln, Nebraska (a native...not a Husker football player transplanted!). However, a win for Barack will change the whole universe!

I will look for the Valerie Wilson Wesley novel and my sister is supposed to send me her copy of That Mean Old Yesterday. I am too cheap to buy books for a few weeks, now that my bank's depleted from the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Prediction: Edwards upsets both Hilary and Obama.

Anonymous said...

Good to see Valerie Wilson Wesley back! There is too much "Video Vixen" in the bookshelves.

I had heard about Stacey Patton's book and recommended it for our bookclub but it didn't get the requesite number of votes. We then assigned it for independent reading around Thanksgiving. I am reading it now and it is very good.

Pebbles Flintstone said...

First of all, Happy New Year Chris! I wish you all of the best in your endeavors this year.

Secondly, I don't give a damn about Iowa either! Why can't we start with states that have a larger and ethnically diverse populous? Just my opinion, but I hope Barack wins even though if he does it will be a miracle in a cornfield.

Anonymous said...

As usual, you are right on the money about Iowa Chris.

I read Stacy Patton's book, and it was very sad indeed. I thought her references to slavery were a little over-dramatic and unnecessary, but I can see why she would try to make the connection.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

free education, take it WEB said he only went to harvard to use their libraries - u should do the same....happy nappy new year

Anonymous said...

Hey bruh I disagree on the Stacey Patton book. I thought it was indeed Antwan Fisher warmed over.

Be afraid of Iowa. Be very afraid.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Can you say O-BA-MA!!! My prediction, Obama will take New Hampshire. Edwards second and Hillary third place.

I'll look out for the Wesley book. Read the Patton book a while back. Sad. Raw. Powerful. Finally somebody had the courage to talk about some taboo issues in black families, particularly whipping children. I thought her connection to slavery made this book different than others that deal with child abuse. A must, must read.

Anonymous said...

Stacy Patton?! I went to Hopkins with her! She wrote a book?! Cool.

Theraputic, I hope!

Anonymous said...

Mean Old Yesterday was most def a good read. Made me deal with how I was raised and how I'm raising my boys.

Go Obama! If he wins New Hampshire I fear that his life will be in some deep jeopardy.

Anonymous said...

If not for the primary, Iowa wouldn't have any significance in US politics.

And if all were fair, it still wouldn't. I'm not sure how the demographics of Iowa represents our country.

Lola Gets said...

I got the Patton book on your recommendation, and enjoyed it (as much as one can enjoy such a tale). As a former abused child, I can appreciate the things she did to get herself out of her situation.

L