Monday, February 11, 2008

Two wins, one loss

No I'm not talking about Obama, Hillary, McCain, Rev. Huck-a-buck. I mean Amy Winehouse and Herbie Hancock turning what was a vapid, pop- and faux-hip hop shrouded Grammy Awards on joke network CBS (Joe Montegna as a presenter? Jesus, the marketing's getting less veiled because we're getting dumber) into gold.

The loss? Roy Scheider. At least he outlived the shark. But he was so much more. Those of us who still care about art and grit in books and film remember his iconic sidekick role in the best cop movie of all times--The French Connection. RIP Roy. Tell Robert Shaw up in actor heaven that the biting up scene in Jaws still scares folks, and yeah that the little pussy Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (Showtime's The Tudors) can't hold a candle to your Henry VIII. Just send another great white...or hell even a vicious tuna...to eat Kanye West, Jay-z and Beyonce. We are as sick of y'all as we are of the Clintons and Bushes....

8 comments:

Lisa said...

The before and after shots of Amy Winehouse are gross. I wonder what she was on last night to calm her?

My father still watches The French Connection every time it's on TV. I still don't know what it's about but it looks more "real" than the crime movies out currently or "Law and Order."

Anonymous said...

It seemed like the Kanye West show. You are right about the craven tie-ins to lame CBS programs. I was waiting for the whole CSI bunch to come out to shill for Kanye or Rhianna!

Peace

Pebbles Flintstone said...

I think that no matter how hard you try, it is very difficult not to recognize Amy Winehouse's talent. I have both of her albums and she is a natural. A breath of fresh air in an industry that seems stale. True, it is very sad that addiction has been a big shadow in her life, but I hope she can overcome it, and go on to create more music. I think Herbie deserved an award, but not for record of the year. That should have gone to Amy.

Love Roy Scheider, so RIP Roy. Jaws, still scares the crap out of me.

Pebbles Flintstone said...

Newsflash! Natalie Cole voices vehment displeasure at Amy Winehouse's grammy wins. She says, “I don’t think she deserved it. I think she needs to get her life together first, and then get the awards later." Cole also called Winehouse “crazy,” and complained that we are teaching youngsters that they can get rewarded for bad behavior.

If my memory serves correctly, wasn't Natalie Cole a "crazy" drug addict herself once upon a time? If she put out an album worthy of praise, she should have been denied because she was addicted? I think not. If she does the work and is talented, then let her have her day. Yes, she needs to get her life together, but this is a ridiculous statement. Shame on you, Natalie.

Lola Gets said...

Ok, it looks like Imma have to check out that Hancock cd, since it won that award. And please, God, cant we find someone - anyone - else to perform besides Beyonce and Alica Keys? Are they the only female singers out there?? Why are those two always being featured on the award shows?? There have GOT to be others!

L

Anonymous said...

Roy Scheider's face looked like leather. Booze will kill you!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

What the hell was Natalie talking about? I have heard both of Amy's albums. Yes there was a lot of hype but I agree with Pebbles, the woman is crazy talented. Drug addiction is no joke and I hope she gets better.

I am so sick of Beyonce (aka Black Barbie). Enough already. Where is Lauryn Hill?!

The French Connection is one of my favorite movies. RIP Mr. Scheider.

Foofa said...

Not to say that I don't have a particularly fond place for The French Connection and All That Jazz in my heart but I love some Jonathan Rhys-Meyers.