Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wisdom for Writers, McCain, Clinton, Obama, Rihanna, Rightwing bloggers and Fired Knicks Coaches

Here are some nuggets from one of my favorite writers--sad to say a roll model--Charles Bukowski (who was immortalized by Matt Dillion of all people in the film Factotum). Any and all are applicable to whatever floats your boat:

“Sex is interesting, but it's not totally important. I mean it's not even as important (physically) as excretion. A man can go seventy years without a piece of ass, but he can die in a week without a bowel movement.”

“Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.”

“There is a time to stop reading, there is a time to STOP trying to WRITE, there is a time to kick the whole bloated sensation of ART out on its whore-ass.”

“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

“An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Hope you all had a nice weekend. More Bukowski tidbits to come. This may be too much for many of you...

7 comments:

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

The last two in particular are so true.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

even horror aint this bad

tchaka owen said...

Hmmm, there are a lot of millionaires here in Florida.....

Foofa said...

I can't say I consider him role model material but I certainly enjoy his writing and the way he understood himself, foibles and all.

Pebbles Flintstone said...

Chris,
I watched Factotum because I wanted to see Matt Dillon's performance. However, I got sucked into the story and found Charles Bukowski to be a perfectly detestable human being. But when I looked a little deeper, I realized that he accepted his flaws, and did what he loved. He simply did not care what people thought. To top it off he was a pretty talented person. So, after all of that I think he was a cool character.
Certainly the world needs more of those.

Anonymous said...

I'm baa-aack!

Charles Bukowski was a modern day Poet's Poet. He was gritty and real.

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming said...

You are on my Safari bookmark.
You and http://angryblackbitch.blogspot.com/ and http://daringfireball.net/ are my obligatory read.
And good for anyone like me, learning English without a teacher.

I think he is a role model, in that he lived his life.
Role models does not mean to copy but to learn from without disregarding ones limitation.

Hell, I learn more from those who heads toward different direction from my.