Sunday, April 20, 2008

Wisdom for Writers, McCain, Clinton, Obama, Rihanna, Rightwing bloggers and Fired Knicks Coaches

Here are some nuggets from one of my favorite writers--sad to say a roll model--Charles Bukowski (who was immortalized by Matt Dillion of all people in the film Factotum). Any and all are applicable to whatever floats your boat:

“Sex is interesting, but it's not totally important. I mean it's not even as important (physically) as excretion. A man can go seventy years without a piece of ass, but he can die in a week without a bowel movement.”

“Boring damned people. All over the earth. Propagating more boring damned people. What a horror show. The earth swarmed with them.”

“There is a time to stop reading, there is a time to STOP trying to WRITE, there is a time to kick the whole bloated sensation of ART out on its whore-ass.”

“Bad taste creates many more millionaires than good taste.”

“An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”

Hope you all had a nice weekend. More Bukowski tidbits to come. This may be too much for many of you...


nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

The last two in particular are so true.

Torrance Stephens bka All-Mi-T said...

even horror aint this bad

tchaka owen said...

Hmmm, there are a lot of millionaires here in Florida.....

Natalie said...

I can't say I consider him role model material but I certainly enjoy his writing and the way he understood himself, foibles and all.

Pebbles Flintstone said...

I watched Factotum because I wanted to see Matt Dillon's performance. However, I got sucked into the story and found Charles Bukowski to be a perfectly detestable human being. But when I looked a little deeper, I realized that he accepted his flaws, and did what he loved. He simply did not care what people thought. To top it off he was a pretty talented person. So, after all of that I think he was a cool character.
Certainly the world needs more of those.

Black Forest Booty said...

I'm baa-aack!

Charles Bukowski was a modern day Poet's Poet. He was gritty and real.

Ochyming said...

You are on my Safari bookmark.
You and and are my obligatory read.
And good for anyone like me, learning English without a teacher.

I think he is a role model, in that he lived his life.
Role models does not mean to copy but to learn from without disregarding ones limitation.

Hell, I learn more from those who heads toward different direction from my.