Wednesday, May 27, 2009

George Pelecanos: Life after "The Wire" & D.C. grit



No review, no pithy comments from me. Just buy this book. It's his homage to what I call "literary fiction with a plot." hahaha. He's a master (and I don't mean the folk whose books have the golden, splashy book covers, front and center in our dying, slowly going to curio shops spots like Borders and B & N). Read the masters before they either expire or are consigned to writing scripts for reality shows (don't laugh--we "midlist" folk are already doing crazy stuff like that...and being edited for writing at a higher grade level than the average adult...).

George, we who are about to die salute thee. In a perfect world, there'd be bronze statues of you, Walter, Carcaterra, DeLillo, Bayard, Geraldine Brooks and a bunch of other folk [I'm not levaing anyone out on purpose--it's just that I haven't mentioned those specific people in a while] circling marble libraries like a metal picket. ot to keep people out, but to shield us from stupidity. Oh well...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the "shout out."

smile

Pebbles Flintstone said...

This book must have just come out because it was not in the store before the holiday.

craig said...

Ha! You need to give dap to Gary Phillips, too.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

This is going on my wish list. I'm a big Pelecanos fan.

I'm just catching up with THE WIRE now. The first two seasons aired on SKY cable here and another expat had the rest of the series on DVD (I couldn't wait for SKY to air the rest).

I finished Season 4 the other day and was blown away. I'm rewatching it with the commentary.

The writing and depth of this show is unreal.

Why didn't it get more Emmy love? I can't remember if it was even nominated for Best Drama Series.

I know they were nominated a few times for best screenplay. No acting awards? How the hell did Idris not get nominated for Stringer or Michael Williams for Omar?

Deocliciano Okssipin Vieira, aka Ochyming said...

My favorite african masters:

Nurudin Farah and Chinua Achebe.

From the first i recomend: Secrets and the classic Things Fall Apart which i am reading (in English btw) by the old man Achebe.

Well, also a young man, Moses Isegawa's Abyssinian Chronicles.

If you do not mind.